The scheme improved the way in which Council services are delivered without compromising the sense of place or the building’s significance.
The transformation included:
- highlighting entrances
- opening up significant historic spaces such as the Rates Hall to full public use
- opening up the heart of the building for customer service and creating a series of welcoming spaces
- providing leisure facilities such as restaurants, cafés and library space, which are directly linked into the Customer Service Centre and break down the institutional feel of the building
- creating closer links between the Town Hall Extension and the adjacent Central Library
- opening up office floor space and removing artificial boundaries to create a variety of work settings without compromising the sense of place or the heritage value of this important building